As we are being challenged to read and study the book of John, I wanted to share some of my personal sermon notes with you to help you understand the book. I preached through the entire book over the course of 1 year when I pastored First Baptist Church Del Rio. Enjoy!
What Kind of Man Are You? John 8:42-59
Fathers are a gift from God. They are special. They play an important role in lives of spouses, children, society, etc. Even if you are not a biological father or adoptive father, if you are a man, there is someone looking up to you that wants to be like you.
The church needs men who love Jesus. I am not talking about giving up your manhood or becoming a wimp. I am talking about becoming a Giant killer, a warrior, and a fearless leader of a family who desperately needs you to take that stand.
The future is on us (men) as leaders of the church and our families. We are the key player in the Kingdom of God. We all have different gifts and roles to do and male leadership is high on the chart. Our role is to be the man God has called us to be.
Stand & Read
42 Jesus said to them, “If God were your Father, you would love me, for I have come here from God. I have not come on my own; God sent me. 43 Why is my language not clear to you? Because you are unable to hear what I say. 44 You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father’s desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45 Yet because I tell the truth, you do not believe me! 46 Can any of you prove me guilty of sin? If I am telling the truth, why don’t you believe me? 47 Whoever belongs to God hears what God says. The reason you do not hear is that you do not belong to God.”
Jesus’ Claims About Himself
48 The Jews answered him, “Aren’t we right in saying that you are a Samaritan and demon-possessed?” 49 “I am not possessed by a demon,” said Jesus, “but I honor my Father and you dishonor me. 50 I am not seeking glory for myself; but there is one who seeks it, and he is the judge. 51 Very truly I tell you, whoever obeys my word will never see death.” 52 At this they exclaimed, “Now we know that you are demon-possessed! Abraham died and so did the prophets, yet you say that whoever obeys your word will never taste death. 53 Are you greater than our father Abraham? He died, and so did the prophets. Who do you think you are?” 54 Jesus replied, “If I glorify myself, my glory means nothing. My Father, whom you claim as your God, is the one who glorifies me. 55 Though you do not know him, I know him. If I said I did not, I would be a liar like you, but I do know him and obey his word. 56 Your father Abraham rejoiced at the thought of seeing my day; he saw it and was glad.” 57 “You are not yet fifty years old,” they said to him, “and you have seen Abraham!” 58 “Very truly I tell you,” Jesus answered, “before Abraham was born, I am!” 59 At this, they picked up stones to stone him, but Jesus hid himself, slipping away from the temple grounds.
Men, do you please God or do you please the world?
Seem like a simple question and it should be relatively easy to answer, right?
- Men who love Jesus please God.
- The way we love Jesus is to hear what God says. Listening to His every Word for us, and this will please God
- Men who understand what their role please God.
- What is the Biblical role for the men? The lines seem to be blurring more and more each day even at church.
- The best verse I can understand Biblical male leadership is found in Joshua 24: 14-15, “Now fear the Lord and serve him with all faithfulness. Throw away the gods your ancestors worshiped beyond the Euphrates River and in Egypt, and serve the Lord. 15 But if serving the Lord seems undesirable to you, then choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods your ancestors served beyond the Euphrates, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you are living. But as for me and my household, we will serve the Lord.”
- Joshua was the next great leader of the Hebrew nation, following in the footsteps of Moses. He was of course a male. He, not she, said to the Hebrews “choose this day whom you will serve.” Joshua chose to lead his family to follow God.
- Jesus was essentially saying the same thing to the followers of His day here in John 8, choose who you will believe in, me, the Son of God, or Satan, the king of liars who speaks his native language of lies.
- What has happened over time, the Church has been blinded into thinking that gender roles have changed over time? Have they? God never placed an * next to His role design did He?
- He did not say the men will go into role reversal in the year 2014.
- Our male role in the life of our family and church is “to lead.” You wife will love you for it, your kids will love you for it, and your church will love you for it.
- Titus 2:1-8—You, however, must teach what is appropriate to sound doctrine. 2 Teach the older men to be temperate, worthy of respect, self-controlled, and sound in faith, in love and in endurance. 3 Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. 4 Then they can urge the younger women to love their husbands and children, 5 to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, and to be subject to their husbands, so that no one will malign the word of God. 6 Similarly, encourage the young men to be self-controlled. 7 In everything set them an example by doing what is good. In your teaching show integrity, seriousness 8 and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that those who oppose you may be ashamed because they have nothing bad to say about us.
- What a great thing we have in the Scriptures that remind us of our God given roles. Don’t be afraid to embrace what is rightfully yours.
- This role is not for you to hang it over others, but it is a role that is humbling, loving, and one full of integrity.
- When you start pleasing the world, you say things like Jesus is demon possessed as it says in our text in John 8, or why should I listen to the pastor, he’s too old, or too young, or any other excuse to please yourself, your circle of influence and even your family.
- Satan will lie to you about who you are, men.
- God will never do that. He tells you who you are. You are the creation of the King, you are created to do great things, you are the man God can use, you are His choice for the church, you can become all things through Christ who strenthens you!
Application—Are you a man who please God or the world? Today you can decide whom you will serve. Wont you choose Jesus today?
In Closing—So how do I lead? Here are some ideas for lead
- Take time each day to tell those around you how much you love them
- Help be a youth volunteer
- Help be a children’s volunteer
- Become a student of the Bible
- Mentor a young boy or teen who doesn’t have a father in their life
- Come to Sunday School
- Take off of work and go home early just to be with your family
- Take your wife out on a date
- Go on a daddy/daughter date if you are blessed to have a daughter
- Go on outing with your son if you are blessed to have a son
- Lead like today is the last day of your life
God has created you for leadership in your home, at your work, and more than that, at your church. Men, you are the leader, there is no other plan. Serve in your role and be a God pleaser!!
Stay in the Light, 1 John 1:7,