As we are being challenged to read and study the book of John, I wanted to share some of my personal sermon notes with you to help you understand the book. I preached through the entire book over the course of 1 year when I pastored First Baptist Church Del Rio. Enjoy!
Introduction—I was born on January 23, 1965 in Des Moines, IA. It was probably cold that day, but I can’t remember. I was also born on January 14, 1990 in Indianapolis, IN. I know it was cold that day, but it sure did warm up. Some of know what I am talking about, and some of may be thinking how can he have been born twice? I have a physical date of birth, and I also have a spiritual date of birth. It is pretty cool to celebrate 2 birthdays. This morning I am going to preach about being born again.
Read John 3:1-17- 1 Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the miraculous signs you are doing if God were not with him.” 3 In reply Jesus declared, “I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again. ” 4 “How can a man be born when he is old?” Nicodemus asked. “Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother’s womb to be born!” 5 Jesus answered, “I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit. 7 You should not be surprised at my saying, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear its sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit.” 9 “How can this be?” Nicodemus asked. 10 “You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? 11 I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12 I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13 No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven–the Son of Man. 14 Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15 that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life. 16“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. 19 This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but men loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. 20 Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. 21 But whoever lives by the truth comes into the light, so that it may be seen plainly that what he has done has been done through God.”
- Spiritual birth is a supernatural act, vs. 1-7
- Even non-believers know that Jesus is God
- They saw the miracles, they hear the knowledge Jesus has, and they know God is with him
- Nicodemus says no one could do what Jesus has been doing unless God is with them. It is supernatural.
- Jesus then says something that has perplexed man from the time He said it until this very day. You must be “Born Again.”
- I can hear Nicodemus say, “Say What.” I can see his face. Dazed and confused.
- So, Nicodemus says, “explain this one to me because what you are saying is just not getting through into my mind.”
- Jesus tells us we must be born of water and of spirit.
- Here is the meaning of that phrase. Water represents purification. Jesus tells us that we need our lives to be purified. There is only one way to do that. You must repent (ask for the forgiveness of your sins) and turn away from them as well. It must come from the heart.
- Born of water also represents the symbol of baptism, which is how we express our inward commitment and to Jesus.
- So in verse 7 Jesus is saying that we should not be surprised when He says that we should be born again. It is supernatural
Illustration—The definition of supernatural: something that is unable to be explained by science or natural laws, relating to God the goes beyond our visibility. In other words, no one can explain it, therefore when you are supernaturally brought into the family of God, only God is the one responsible. He supernaturally changes you from a sinner to a saint, from the dark into light, from lost to found, from unclean to clean, from eternally separated from Him to becoming a co-heir of the throne of the King of Kings.
Application—Have you been Born Again this morning? Do you want to?
- Spiritual birth is a gift from God, Vs. 8
- Only God can provide the spiritual birth we need.
- Some have said I can’t believe in a God I can’t see. Why does He hide Himself from me? Jesus answers that for us
- The wind blows and you can’t see it, but you can hear it, you can see the direction it is blowing by the way branches wave. You know and you believe there is air even though you can’t see it.
- Jesus said it is the same concept with being born of the Spirit. You have to have faith that God is there even though you can’t see Him. But you can hear Him through His Word. You can see a life that has changed.
- It is a gift from God. Receive it today.
Application—Have you received your gift today? If not, God is providing to you at this very moment
- Eternal Life is for everyone, vs. 15-21
- Believing in God is essential for eternal life.
- There are those that believe that all you have to do is live a good life and wait until the Day of Judgment to make sure your good outweighs your bad in order for you to enter into heaven.
- The Bible doesn’t teach that. It teaches us to place our faith in Him now in order to make sure we are saved and secure.
- NIV Ephesians 4:30—Do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
- NLT—And do not bring sorrow to God’s Holy Spirit by the way you live. Remember, he has identified you as his own, guaranteeing that you will be saved on the day of redemption.
- This is what the Bible teaches. We can be guaranteed to have eternal life so that when we stand before God, He will know us by name since it will be written in the Lamb’s book of life.
- Does He know your name? Have you received your supernatural gift?
- 2 Peter 3:9—The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance.
- God loves you so much that He gave Jesus for you to have a relationship with. He has loved you and He came for you so you could be saved.
Illustration—I have met with many of you in homes around the city. You have some amazing testimonies about your salvation experiences, your born again birthdays. One of the greatest testimonies to me is hear of an adult who is rock solid in the faith even though they were born again at an early age. Some may think they don’t have a powerful testimony, but to me, the power is all in the Lord. He saved you at an early age, so that He could protect from all the evils of this world. Many of you have never fallen into great temptation since God came into your life at early age. Kids it not to early to be saved. Adults, it is not to late to be saved. God is patient so that anyone and everyone can be assured of their supernatural eternal salvation with Jesus. You can be assured of it today.
Application—Are you born again? Jesus said, “You must be born again.” He did not suggest it, or say you should be born again. He says you must be born again. Why not today? Why not during this Christmas season. What a gift that would be!
Stay in the Light, 1 John 1:7,